Consumer Reports Survey Questions

Just to chat about your Tucson or Sportage

Moderators: theguynamedbrad, miller56, wombat

miller56
What vehicle do you own?: Tucson

Consumer Reports Survey Questions

#1 Postby miller56 » Thu May 04, 2006 10:18 pm

The topic about why the Tucson received a below average rating from CR has been raised before and will probably be beaten to death over time. Since I subscribe to CR (print and online), I was asked to report on my vehicles and I wanted to share with you the questions they ask to determine a vehicle's reliabilty/dependability. Keep in mind, when you answer these questions, you either ignore it or check it to indicate you had a "serious" problem! :-| :shock:

If you had any problems with your car in the last year (April 1, 2005 through
March 31, 2006) that you considered SERIOUS because of cost, failure, safety or
downtime, click the appropriate box(es) for each car.

INCLUDE problems covered by warranty. DO NOT INCLUDE 1) problems resulting from accident damage; or 2) replacement of normal maintenance items (brake pads, batteries, mufflers) unless they were replaced much sooner or more often than expected.

Air Bags
including warning light; malfunction (not related to an accident)

Audio System
(do not include aftermarket systems) including radio, CD player or changer, cassette player, satellite radio, navigation or entertainment system.

Body Hardware (Manual)
including manual mirrors, door locks and latches, sliding door, tailgate or hatch, seat mechanisms, convertible top, seat belts; glass defects

Body Integrity
including seals and weather stripping; loose interior trim; air and water leaks, wind noise, rattles and squeaks

Brakes
including antilock system (ABS), parking brake; pulsation or vibration, squeaking; premature wear; failure

Climate System
including A/C compressor, electrical failure, refrigerant leakage; no heating, cooling or defrosting

Drive System
(except transmission) including driveshaft, joints, axle(s), differential, wheel bearings, 4-wheel drive components, driveline vibration, electrical failure, traction control, stability control system

Electrical System
including starter, alternator, battery, horn, gauges, tire pressure monitor, wiper motor, wiring, lights

Engine Cooling
including radiator, cooling fan, water pump, thermostat, coolant leaks; overheating

Engine- Major
including engine rebuilt, cylinder head, head gasket, turbocharger, supercharger

Engine- Minor
including distributor, coil, spark plugs, sensors or module, electronic ignition, accessory belts, timing, oil leaks; engine knock or ping

Exhaust System
including exhaust manifold, muffler, catalytic converter, pipes; leaks

Fuel System
including fuel injection system, engine computer, sensors, fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel leaks, emission control devices, check engine light; stalling or hesitation

Paint and Exterior Trim
including fading, discoloration, chalking, peeling, cracking, loose trim, moldings, rust

Power Equipment and Accessories
including power windows, locks, mirrors, seat adjustments, sunroof, convertible top, sliding doors or lift gates, keyless entry, cruise control, seat temperature controls, backup sensors and camera

Steering/Suspension
including steering linkage, power steering gear, pump, coolers and lines, wheel alignment and balance, springs or torsion bars, shocks or struts, ball joints, bushings, electronic or air suspension

Transmission (and Clutch)
including transmission rebuild or replacement, gear selector and linkage, coolers and lines, leaks, transmission computer; clutch adjustment or replacement

This is essentially all that makes up the vaunted CR reliability reports! The results are all or nothing. They do not give anyone the ability to rate the seriousness or frequency of any problems. Amazing! :shock:
Ralph, father of Cpl Jessica N. Miller, USMC

--They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.--

LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943

--Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.--

Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#2 Postby mkaresh » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:37 am

This is why I'm conducting my own reliability research where people report every problem that's not maintenance or in a list of wear items. Leaving it up to the respondent to determine whether or not a problem is serious invites bias.

My critiques of CR can be found among my editorials here:

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/think.php

So far I have 35 2005 and 11 2006 Tucsons participating. I also have 10 2005 and 17 2006 Sportages. The larger the sample I can get, the more accurate the results will be.

To encourage people to participate, those that do will get free access to the results.

Feel free to contact me with comments or questions.
http://www.truedelta.com
More useful reliability research
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

LBOCEAN
Oh When that...
Oh When that...
What vehicle do you own?: Tucson

Re: Consumer Reports Survey Questions

#3 Postby LBOCEAN » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:24 pm

O.k. I'll Bite :wink:

2005 V6 GLS 4WD
Purchased late in March of 2006
Approx 4800 miles as of now.
Long Beach, Ca. USA

Air Bags
including warning light; malfunction (not related to an accident)
NO

Audio System
(do not include aftermarket systems) including radio, CD player or changer, cassette player, satellite radio, navigation or entertainment system.
NO

Body Hardware (Manual)
including manual mirrors, door locks and latches, sliding door, tailgate or hatch, seat mechanisms, convertible top, seat belts; glass defects
YES... Sunroof needed to be adjusted to open all the way

Body Integrity
including seals and weather stripping; loose interior trim; air and water leaks, wind noise, rattles and squeaks
NO

Brakes
including antilock system (ABS), parking brake; pulsation or vibration, squeaking; premature wear; failure
NO

Climate System
including A/C compressor, electrical failure, refrigerant leakage; no heating, cooling or defrosting
NO

Drive System
(except transmission) including driveshaft, joints, axle(s), differential, wheel bearings, 4-wheel drive components, driveline vibration, electrical failure, traction control, stability control system
NO

Electrical System
including starter, alternator, battery, horn, gauges, tire pressure monitor, wiper motor, wiring, lights
NO

Engine Cooling
including radiator, cooling fan, water pump, thermostat, coolant leaks; overheating
NO

Engine- Major
including engine rebuilt, cylinder head, head gasket, turbocharger, supercharger
NO

Engine- Minor
including distributor, coil, spark plugs, sensors or module, electronic ignition, accessory belts, timing, oil leaks; engine knock or ping
NO

Exhaust System
including exhaust manifold, muffler, catalytic converter, pipes; leaks
NO

Fuel System
including fuel injection system, engine computer, sensors, fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel leaks, emission control devices, check engine light; stalling or hesitation
NO

Paint and Exterior Trim
including fading, discoloration, chalking, peeling, cracking, loose trim, moldings, rust
NO

Power Equipment and Accessories
including power windows, locks, mirrors, seat adjustments, sunroof, convertible top, sliding doors or lift gates, keyless entry, cruise control, seat temperature controls, backup sensors and camera
NO

Steering/Suspension
including steering linkage, power steering gear, pump, coolers and lines, wheel alignment and balance, springs or torsion bars, shocks or struts, ball joints, bushings, electronic or air suspension
NO

Transmission (and Clutch)
including transmission rebuild or replacement, gear selector and linkage, coolers and lines, leaks, transmission computer; clutch adjustment or replacement[/i]
NO

gdh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#4 Postby gdh » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Bringing this one back from the dead but now that we have more yrs on our Tucsons it might be interesting to see how they've held up.

My 2005 AWD GL bigger issues:

'08 new transmission
'12 new A/C unit
'13 new wiper motor
'13 new rear window latches

hunted
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Postby hunted » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 pm

My 2006 4wd 2.0 GL:

Nothing major just the normal wear items. Bushings, plugs, plug wires, oil, filters, timing belt, etc. The interior upholstery is crap though, many small scratches on door panels as well as a small tear, steering wheel material flaking off. I hate these plastic headlight covers, they get discoloured and look awful (The Meguiars headlight cleaner works ok but does not restore to new). I wish all manufacturers would provide a glass option on headlights.
Are u ready for his return?

Return to “General Discussion”