TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results for the Tucson

Just to chat about your Tucson or Sportage

Moderators: theguynamedbrad, miller56, wombat

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results for the Tucson

#1 Postby mkaresh » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:46 pm

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to provide stats on new models quickly then track cars closely as they age.

We've had excelent participation by Tucson and Sportage owners. But more remain needed to cover all models and model years. So I'm grateful that this forum has stickied this thread.

I'd especially interested in providing quick results for the new 2010 Tucson--just a matter of how soon enough owners join and participate.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Passat, for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research
Last edited by mkaresh on Sun May 09, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.truedelta.com
More useful reliability research
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

Hyundai Tucson reliability - how does it compare?

#2 Postby mkaresh » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:47 am

I've posted the latest results of TrueDelta's reliability survey to the site. These results are for the year ending December 31, 2006.

I'm currently collecting data on all years of the Tucson. I only have enough responses to provide official results for the 2005, though. For all model years more participants would help a great deal. If you've already been participating, thanks, these results would not have been possible otherwise.

For the 2005 Hyundai Tucson, I have an average of 6.4 months of data on 32 cars. The stat of 0.3 successful repair trips per year is better than average, and about what I'm seeing for most Asian models.

I do have an average of 5.1 months of data on 18 2006s. Not a single shop trip has been reported for these cars. I suspect that with a larger sample the average repair rate will still be very low, at least as good as for the 2005.

Other results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Note that Consumer Reports' annual auto issue, out soon, includes reliability ratings for the year ending March 31, 2006. Because TrueDelta's surveys are more frequent, and we analyze the data promptly, our results will average over ten months' "fresher" than theirs. When considering a car, do you want to know how reliable it was a year ago, or how reliable it has been recently?
Last edited by mkaresh on Sun May 09, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results - Hyunda Tucson

#3 Postby mkaresh » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:56 am

I've posted the latest results of TrueDelta's reliability survey to the site. These are for the year ending March 31, 2007. (CR currently provides results through March 31, 2006, making their data a year older.)

For the 2005 Hyundai Tucson I have an average of 7.3 months of data on 30 cars. The stat of 44 successful repair trips per year per 100 cars (0.4 per car) is better than average for a 2005 model, bur worse than I'm seeing for the 2006.

For the 2006 Hyundai Tucson I have an average of 6.3 months of data on 21 cars. This isn't enough data for me to consider the result official, so the results are asterisked and on the site only visible to logged in members. And that stats is 0 because so far no owner of a 2006 Tucson has reported a repair that meets the criteria for being inlcluded in the analysis.

Next results in August. There should be a larger sample and a more precise result then, and hopefully a result for the 2007 as well.

Those of you who have been helping out with this, thanks. This forum and its admin have been extremely helpful, and I certainly appreciate this. If you're not yet helping out, please consider doing so. The larger the sample, the more precise future results will be.

Other results:

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

TrueDelta reliability survey results - Hyundai Tucson

#4 Postby mkaresh » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:54 am

The latest TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results have been posted. These are for the year ending June 30, 2007. Late responses could lead to further changes, but these are unlikely to be large.

This time around I have combined the Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage. I did not do this earlier because each company did its own final engineering and each does its own manufacturing. So before combining the samples I wanted to see if the reliability of the two models differed significantly. It does not, so they can be combined.

For the 2005 Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage, I have an average of 7.7 months of data on 35 cars. The stat of 27 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year (0.3 per vehicle) is better than average for a 2005 model, especially considering this was the first year.

For the 2006 Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage, I have an average of 7.7 months of data on 30 cars. The stat of 21 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year (0.2 per vehicle) is better than average for a 2006 model.

Examples of repairs reported...

For the 2005:
--wiper motor
--CD player
--MAF sensor

For the 2006:
--alternator
--radio
--suspension bracket

Everyone who has been helping out with this research, thanks, I literally couldn't have done it without you. Those who aren't yet helping out, please consider doing so. It would be nice to get rid of those asterisks. And the more participants there are, the more detailed the results can be.

Other results:

That-Vela-Fella
Elite Member
Elite Member
What vehicle do you own?: Tucson

Re: TrueDelta reliability survey results - Hyundai Tucson

#5 Postby That-Vela-Fella » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Great to know how reliable our vehicle is & the minor things that tend to come up. I'll make this a sticky since you tend to periodically update it. Image

I'm sure there is a few more to add in to it, but like was said, the overall results won't differ so big now.

I also noticed that the Hyundai Tucson Specifications didn't mention what measurements was being use (I'm assuming it's metric) http://www.truedelta.com/models/anymodel.php?brand=Hyundai%20/%20Kia&model=123&model_year=2006&session_code=

Edit: Realized later there was a sticky done before, so just had them merged together now as one 'sticky' topic. Also added in 2 other topics done earlier on the same thing! :D
Last edited by That-Vela-Fella on Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: see edit note
ImageImage

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#6 Postby mkaresh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 am

The results in the OP are now nearly a year old. There will be another quarterly update in early February.

Additional participants would certainly be helpful.

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#7 Postby mkaresh » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 am

And here they are...

The latest TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results have been posted. These are for the year ending December 31, 2007.

For the 2005 Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage, we received an average of 8.4 months of data on 31 cars. The stat of 28 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year (0.3 per vehicle) is much better than average for a 2005 model.

For the 2006s, we received an average of 10.4 months of data on 25 cars. The stat of 23 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year (0.2 per vehicle) is much better than average for a 2006 model.

For the 2007s, we received an average of 6.5 months of data on 11 cars. This is a very small sample, so the result is asterisked. The stat o 51 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year (0.5 per vehicle) is about average for a 2007 model. Given the lower repair rates for the previous model year, the actual repair rate for the 2007s is probably lower.

No result for the 2008s yet. We need more participants for all model years, but especially the 2007 and 2008. We do already have results for some other 2008s, including the new Accord.

Everyone who has been helping out with this research, thank you. Those who aren't yet helping out, please consider doing so.

Full set of results:

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#8 Postby mkaresh » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Updated results recently posted. Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage reliability, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2005: 39, better than average

2006: 33, better than average

2007: 23, better than average, but small sample size

2008: insufficient data

Additional participants would be helpful for all model years, especially 2007+.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#9 Postby mkaresh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:28 am

We have updated results for the Tucson. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 28, better than average

2006: 39, better than average

2007: 46, about average, small sample size

2008, 2009: too few owners signed up

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the Tucson:

Hyundai Tucson reliability comparisons

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#10 Postby mkaresh » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:35 am

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 47, about average

2006: 43, better than average

2005: 44, better than average

Very small sample size for the 2007. The other two years fell one to four responses short of the minimum for full results.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

itza
Super Supporter
Super Supporter
What vehicle do you own?: Tucson

#11 Postby itza » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:10 am

mkaresh wrote:We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 47, about average

2006: 43, better than average

2005: 44, better than average

Very small sample size for the 2007. The other two years fell one to four responses short of the minimum for full results.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Come on folks join the survey as without a good number of vehicles for each year this survey makes the Tucson look like its average for visits to the shop when we ALL know that it is well below average-considering what we are asking our Tucsons to do be it road/rough terrain work then I know that for instance mine has only been into the shop for a rear bumper due to another motorists failure to drive responsibly and I have only had my servicing done and nothing else in nearly 3 years.
It takes only seconds to respond to the survey- or not depending on the info they require and the Tucson surely is more reliable than a FORD or GM vehicle!!!! ;)

Cheers

Itza
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left ! :)

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#12 Postby mkaresh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:21 am

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 41, better than average

2006: 53, about average

2005: 55, better than average

Very small sample size for the 2007. The other two years barely reached the minimum for full results.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop. We don't have these for the Tucson yet, though, because they require a larger number of responses. So if you aren't already participating, please consider doing so.

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#13 Postby mkaresh » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 pm

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 20, better than average

2006: 74, about average

Small sample size for the 2007. The other two years barely reached the minimum for full results.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#14 Postby mkaresh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:21 am

Just enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants in mid-April.

Car reliability research

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

Re: TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results for the Tuc

#15 Postby mkaresh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:35 pm

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 10, better than average

2006: 66, about average

Small sample size for the 2007. The other two years barely reached the minimum for full results.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to participate:

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#16 Postby mkaresh » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:26 am

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010.

Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010: 52, about average

2007: 10, better than average

2006: 71, about average

2005: 48, better than average

Small sample sizes for all but the 2005. The 2006 fell a single response short of the minimum for a full result.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#17 Postby mkaresh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 pm

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2010: 49, about average

2008: 53, about average

2007: no repairs reported, 15 participants

2006: 61, about average

2005: 38, better than average

Small sample sizes for all but the 2005, which likely explains the variation from year to year.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Hyundai Tucson reliability ratings and comparisons

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#18 Postby mkaresh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:45 am

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010.

2010: 45, about average

2008: 51, about average

2007: 21, better than average

2006: 36, better than average

2005: 34, better than average

Small sample sizes for the 2006-2008.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#19 Postby mkaresh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:57 am

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2010: 70, about average

2008: 88, about average

2007: 21, better than average

2006: 44, better than average

2005: 30, better than average

Small sample sizes for the 2006-2008, so these results are less accurate.

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#20 Postby mkaresh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 am

We have updated results for the Tucson to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

2011: 43, about average

2010: 58, about average

2008: 82, about average

2007: 39, better than average

2006: 35, better than average

2005: 19, better than average

Small sample sizes for the 2006-2008 and 2001, so these results are less accurate.

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#21 Postby mkaresh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:05 pm

We have updated our reliability stats for the Tucson (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

2011: 37, better than average

2010: 59, about average

2008: 82, about average

2007: 47, better than average

2006: 45, better than average

2005: 33, better than average

Small sample sizes for the 2006-2008 and 2011, so these our reliability stats are less accurate.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#22 Postby mkaresh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 am

We have updated our reliability stats for the Tucson to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

2012: 12, better than average

2011: 41, about average

2010: 16, better than average

2008: 12, better than average

2007: 35, better than average

2006: 25, better than average

2005: 29, better than average

Small sample sizes for all but the 2010.

We'll have further updates in February and May. We'd love to provide more precise stats and fully cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved!

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#23 Postby mkaresh » Tue May 14, 2013 7:41 am

We have updated our reliability stats for the Tucson to include owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

2012: 11, low
2011: 52, moderate
2010: 23, low
2008: 10, low
2007: 26, low
2006: 38, low
2005: 35, low

Small sample sizes for all years.

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

Last edited by mkaresh on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#24 Postby mkaresh » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:43 am

We've updated our reliability stats for the Tucson to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

2012 Tucson: 9, low, small sample size
2011 Tucson: 53, moderate, small sample size
2010 Tucson: 30, low, small sample size
2008 Tucson: 29, low, very small sample size
2007 Tucson: 30, low, very small sample size
2006 Tucson: 32, low, small sample size
2005 Tucson: 36, low, small sample size

We'll have further updates in August and in November.

For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#25 Postby mkaresh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:03 pm

We've updated our reliability stats for the Tucson to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013.

2012 Tucson: 9, low, small sample size
2011 Tucson: 43, moderate, small sample size
2010 Tucson: 24, low, small sample size
2008 Tucson: 41, low, very small sample size
2007 Tucson: 19, low, small sample size
2006 Tucson: 49, low, small sample size
2005 Tucson: 36, low, small sample size

We'll have further updates later this month and in February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help:

Return to “General Discussion”