Dead Battery Update

Just to chat about your Tucson or Sportage

Moderators: theguynamedbrad, miller56, wombat

David223
What vehicle do you own?: Tucson

Dead Battery Update

#1 Postby David223 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:56 pm

I started a thread recently about my dead battery and here is the follow up. I didn't want to, but decided to go to the dealership about my battery dying and also, once in a while the ESC light would light up on the dashboard and stay on, pushing the button would not make the light go off. It (the light) went on and off on it's own.
So I called my dealership and they asked if I wanted to come in the following day. It was funny because while driving there the ESC light came on and stayed on. So I get there and explain my two problems. The service guy tells me he knows what both problems are. He said the ESC light coming on and off on it's own is from the "brake light switch" and they want to replace that switch with a new and different type.
Then he says the battery dying is from the radio. I tell the service guy I have been reading about the radio on Tucon Drivers. I tell him how people have replaced their radio's and the battery still died. He told me that when this problem first started happening the dealership's would just put in a new radio and sometimes the new radio would kill the battery because it would have the same defective part in it. So what they do now is send the radios to an electronics place that replaces the defective part in the radio with a new part that won't drain the battery excessively. So what I had put in my Tucson was a "remanufactured" radio.
As far as I'm concerned, the dealer was very nice and understanding. My visit there took one hour and ten minutes. I think that's pretty good. I feel satisfied my problems were corrected. Thanks for the help I got here.
Happy Motoring, David

RAM1500
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Re: Dead Battery Update

#2 Postby RAM1500 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Im glad to see that the dealer you deal with is proffesional and actually fixed the problem...

I wish they were all like that ... :mrgreen:

Ian

TucsonFan
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Postby TucsonFan » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:49 am

I had the same problem related to ESC Light. They replaced the brake light switched and the problem was solved. Only thing is dealer did not wanted to do any thing before I get the remote starter disconnected as in his openion it was an "after market install". I had to find a delaler for AstroStart and got that disconnected. because I have moved from my original town. After the dealer replaced the switch, I went back and now my AstroStart delaler, he wants my dollars now. He would have to reprogram my remote starter unit.

:sad: Had to pay $50 for 5 minutes job.
Thanks,
TucsonFan

2006 2.7 V6 Black Limited

kmh914
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#4 Postby kmh914 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:54 am

Hi David:

Do you know for sure if your dead battery problem has been solved? I also had the radio replaced and they gave me a new battery but the battery still died the next time I left it at the airport. I'm thinking maybe I also got a bad re-manufactured radio. Also, what dealership did you go to? If possible I'd like to get their contact info so I can call them and then tell my dealership about this. They'll probably say 'yeah, right lady!' so I'd like to have some back-up info to throw at them!

Cheers,
Karin
2006 Tucson GLS V6 4WD

David223

#5 Postby David223 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Karin, I am not sure if the dead battery problem is solved until I do not use my Tucson for several days. The time it died on me was during Christmas vacation and I was away. Most of us use our cars every day so we don't know about this.
Karin, just maybe you got a new radio that was not remaufactured. I don't know. I almost want to leave my Tucson for a week and rent a car to see what happens, but that's expensive.
I don't know the number, but there is a TSB on this very subject. Someone here knows the number. It tells the dealer about the replacement radio must be a remanufactured one.
Has your ESC light came on by itself?
I don't think dealers will call one another but my dealer contact info is
Herb Connolly Hyundai
Natick Massachusetts
508-879-0300

Best of Luck, David

kmh914
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

Re: Dead Battery Update; do 2007 or 2008 models have this issue?

#6 Postby kmh914 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi:

Are there any 2007 or 2008 Tucson owners that have this issue of the battery dying (if not driven for a few days)?

I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 for a 2007 Tucson; I had heard that this issue mainly occured in the 2006 model year.

Cheers!
2006 Tucson GLS V6 4WD

itza
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

#7 Postby itza » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:06 am

Hey KMH cheaper to buy a far bigger battery than change the Tucson yet though isn't it!

I had heard that Hyundai have the battery thing solved- take your Tuc back to the dealer to sort it out for you. Check all back messages on the dead battery syndrome using the Search item at the top of this page.

Cheers
itza fl. fl. fl.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left ! :)

wowzers17
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#8 Postby wowzers17 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:59 pm

TSB 07-90-007 came out in July 2007. It directly states:

"Some Tucson vehicles equipped with the M280 audio receiver may exhibit a discharged battery if left parked, without being started or driven, for 2-3 days or more."

It lists that a re-manufactured radio should be replaced (likely a previously broken one with the defect worked out).

Take that TSB number to your dealer, and they should be able to help you.

Search for that TSB number on the internet and you can actually obtain a direct printout of the TSB to take with you as well.

itza
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

#9 Postby itza » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 am

Hey KMH914

Just put the ref into google and it comes up Look in Townhall talk-Edmunds.com and theres quite a bit on it. The other entry needs money to see it so don't bother with that.
Itza fl. fl. fl.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left ! :)

deadlysquid
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#10 Postby deadlysquid » Sun May 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Hello, I'm new here but just wanted to concur with Wowzers post and to thank all those who posted possible solutions to this issue. My mother was having the "dead battery" scenario with her new Tucson as desribed in this discussion. I printed off the TSB from the Hyundai Maintenance web site as suggested, had her take it with her after the car was towed in (very important that you get it to the dealer in the "dead" condition). The Service guy looked it up to confirm it. He had not heard of this before for some reason. They installed the "remanufactured" radio without the defect that drains the battery and it has been fine ever since (about 3 months with no problems). He did tell me that the Hyundai diagnostic computer was not sensitive enough to pick up the power drain but thay hooked up the Volkswagon computer (same dealer) and saw the drain happening in live time.

My mother lives in Savannah, GA and they should be aware of the problem now. The Service Writer's name is Daniel. I live in Pensacola, FL and the Hyundau dealer here in VERY familiar with this problem. His name in Lyn. Feel free to contact either if your dealer keeps simply jump-starting your car and tells you they can't find anything wrong or that you must have left the interior light on or some other lame excuse.

ruthie
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#11 Postby ruthie » Thu May 22, 2008 7:23 am

hi there i just bought a 2006 tucson used and as i don't driver very much i hope the dead battery won't be an issue for me. i love the car but i am thinking of trading it in for an 08 just so i don't have anyone else's problems. it only has 30,000kms on it and i sometimes hear a clunk when i am backing up. it is a four wheel drive. i live in the great white north. any ideas?

hongnak
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#12 Postby hongnak » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:40 pm

I own a 2006 V6 Tucson which never had any problems. Recently, upon returning from a 1 week vacation, I found the battery completely dead. A nearby dealer in New Rochelle, NY, replaced the battery and claimed that the 2 1/2 year old battery was due for replacement. Two weeks later (I only drive this vehicle on weekends) the car would not start again. A visit to the dealer again resulted in a claim that the battery terminals were not tightened the first time and the battery was sufficiently charged. A week later the battery was dead again. I did notice that the tire pressure monitor on the dash was on, although I found that all four tires were within acceptable parameters.

Arizoniana
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#13 Postby Arizoniana » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:39 am

The problem with that TSB is that it lists phony VIN's for the "range" of vehicles affected. I don't know if this is because Hyundai is stupid, or because they are very smart in avoiding installation of replacement radios. The first VIN has 18 digits. Hyundai VINs have only 17. The second VIN has a "V" where the engine type is indicated. The "V" only applies to 1999-2001 Sonatas. (I think they had radio problems, too.) The character following the "V" is a "P." This place in a VIN can only be held by a "check digit" in the range of 0-9, or X. Voila! No Hyundai Tucson in the world can have that VIN, so every Tucson radio must not be a problem.

I took my 2006 Tucson to the dealer and they didn't get past the TSB. They sold me a new battery, told me it was normal to have to replace it every 18 months, and gave me a copy of the TSB showing that it had a "VP" where mine, like every 6cyl Tucson, has a DX.

I have asked Hyundai Motors Customer Service by email, several times, to give me the correct VIN range. So far no response.

50fathomsdown
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#14 Postby 50fathomsdown » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:41 am

I have been reading up on this dead battery problem while at the same time having the dealer look at this problem in my 2006 Tuscon. They confirmed the fix as a radio replacement. And also notified me it would cost only about $300 to replace the radio. As a temporary fix they said I could pull the fuse to the radio if parked for longer than two days.

Why not replace the radio for free! Better yet!!! Every time I plan on parking it for two days or more assign a Technician to my vehicle to come and pull the fuse for as long as I own the vehicle.

If this problem is that wide spread wheres the recall Hyundai?

Redux
Admin
Admin

#15 Postby Redux » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:34 am

50fathomsdown wrote:I have been reading up on this dead battery problem while at the same time having the dealer look at this problem in my 2006 Tuscon. They confirmed the fix as a radio replacement. And also notified me it would cost only about $300 to replace the radio. As a temporary fix they said I could pull the fuse to the radio if parked for longer than two days.

Why not replace the radio for free! Better yet!!! Every time I plan on parking it for two days or more assign a Technician to my vehicle to come and pull the fuse for as long as I own the vehicle.

If this problem is that wide spread wheres the recall Hyundai?

2006-isn't Hyundai a 5-year warranty? :x
If they're going to charge $300 to replace the radio, install a new, better one for less. Even installed, it's going to cost less.
Rest In Peace, Antoon Coolen & Itza -- You brought a smile to all faces of the forum.

50fathomsdown
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#16 Postby 50fathomsdown » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:18 pm

What a coincidence. I stopped in to our local Radio Store a local family operation thats been in busines for over 50 years. Faster than a half hour lunch they just installed a Pioneer radio adapters bracket face plate and sent me on my way for $175. Problem gone and the audio outperforms the original.

I wont say what they new about this radio problem I had. One word used was junk

50fathomsdown
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#17 Postby 50fathomsdown » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Here is an update to my last post. The radio model M280 is the only one that has this defect. The dealer states the radio in not included in the 5 year warrenty. Hyundai can easily replace this radio with another model that includes the CD/MP3 and cassette tape player. They will avoid this due to $$$$ lost just to keep customers happy.

Redux
Admin
Admin

#18 Postby Redux » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:03 pm

as far as I know, you're the only person who has been denied the radio-fix within the 5-year-warranty period. The radio was faulty from the beginning, you just happened to have gotten screwed by this dealer because you didn't catch it in time. Sounds like an SOB dealer to me! Glad to hear you got a new [better] system, though!
Rest In Peace, Antoon Coolen & Itza -- You brought a smile to all faces of the forum.

50fathomsdown
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

#19 Postby 50fathomsdown » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:37 pm

From a second source dealer I also found out that this model radio M280 is replaced with a remanufactured radio. It could be a totally blown one or just a good radio with the batery fix in it. Why remanufactured and not a new one? The model is no longer in production? Remanufactured say it's not avail as new rplacement.

Here is a tid bit on the radio that is interesting from the label on top of the case.

Model - 280JMLN

Under license of STAAR S.A. BRUXELLES BELGIUM
Manufactured HUNDAI AUTONET Co. LTD.

johnsons63
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

#20 Postby johnsons63 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:31 am

im planning to buy a new battery for my Tucson CRDi. The original Korean one has lasted 5 years! The dealer tells me to fit a 70 A/h 652, but the one in the car is currently rated at 92 A/H and the manual suggests an SMF90 which is 90 A/h.
We have been to Battery Centre and have made many calls to Hyundai and the battery manufacturers, but confusion reigns. The problem is that I want a 90 A/h battery that is positive right and has a bottom lip. The current battery size is 157x296mm.

Any suggestions?

Superchips Cortex Tune, Magnaflow 22" with Gibson pipes,, 275/60/R20 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires on MB Predator wheels. Batteries[/color], T-Rex vertical billet grill, chrome foglight inserts, Ventshade in-channel window visors, tinted windows

DSofT

#21 Postby DSofT » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 am

johnsons63, I think the confusion raises due to the fact that diesel Tucsons were never sold in US, so US dealer databases has no info about battery requirements for CRDI. Indeed it should have significantly higher capacity due to higher requirements for diesel at startup time. Search some European/Australian catalogs for battery.

Return to “General Discussion”