TucsonDrivers.com

Hyundai Tucson Forum & Community
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:47 am

Post subject: Child Seat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:33 pm 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

What vehicle do you own?: Tucson
Well guys it's been awhile since i been on and my wife is almost due with our third child...
I am trying to get the child seat base to fit in the Tucson but the damn belt is short or maybe i am installing it wrong ....
Can anyone help me please....
The manual shows that we have three anchors in the very back but we have four right under the back seat...
Am i missing something here ?????Image

Post subject: Re: Child Seat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:06 am 
How are you trying to affix the seat base?

The 3 anchors in the back are for the tether (or anchor) strap on forward facing child seats. You won't need that for a base and a rear facing seat.

The 4 loops in the rear seat are for the LATCH system that uses a special strap with hooks on either end.
http://www.seatcheck.org/img/photos/f_l ... ose_up.jpg

If you are using the factory seat belt, you should have plenty of length to hold it in. Can you better explain the problem you are having?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:44 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

I have mine secured with the LATCH under the seat, the teather through the headrest and into the rear and the seatbelt through the seat itself. Plenty of play.

One thing I do know is the LATCH teathers are very hard to resize, this is obviously by design so it doesn't slip but you can really break a sweat trying to get them to reach.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:08 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

I am trying to use the Tether but the strap is like 3 inches short I can get both sides connected but when I push the seat back it pulles the strap and the base pops up...
I have ajusted the strap the the full extant but still a little short......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:27 am 
noodles38 wrote:
I am trying to use the Tether but the strap is like 3 inches short I can get both sides connected but when I push the seat back it pulles the strap and the base pops up...

What position are you putting this seat?

The LATCH teather hooks are only for the 2 OUTSIDE seats. They aren't for a child seat in the the center position.

If you want the seat in the center position you must use the factory Tucson seat belt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:40 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

NovaResource wrote:
noodles38 wrote:

What position are you putting this seat?

The LATCH teather hooks are only for the 2 OUTSIDE seats. They aren't for a child seat in the the center position.

If you want the seat in the center position you must use the factory Tucson seat belt.

I have mine in the center in the back and it fits. It is tight but you can connect them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:12 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

Ok guys I feel really dumb now I went to the dealer to have them show me how and it is right under the back of the seat, I thought that was for a different type of car seat....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:13 am 
ajgreiner wrote:
I have mine in the center in the back and it fits. It is tight but you can connect them.

Check your user manual because you are only supposed to use the LATCH hooks for car seats in the 2 outside positions, not the center position.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:16 am 
noodles38 wrote:
Ok guys I feel really dumb now I went to the dealer to have them show me how and it is right under the back of the seat, I thought that was for a different type of car seat....

The safety of your children is never dumb. Installing the seat correctly is very important. Dumb would have been not asking for help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

NovaResource wrote:
ajgreiner wrote:

Check your user manual because you are only supposed to use the LATCH hooks for car seats in the 2 outside positions, not the center position.

I have a Graco and it shows the center position with LATCH and the seatbelt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:03 am 
ajgreiner wrote:

No, I mean the Tucson's owners manual. The Tucson rear center seat is not designed for the LATCH (aka ISOFIX) system. Only the outboard rear seats.

Pages 26-27 of my 2006 Tucson owners manual clearly state that you should NOT use the LATCH system for a child seat in the center position. Only the outboard left and right positions are able to use the LATCH system. A child seat mounted in the center position MUST use the factory Tucson seat/shoulder belt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:31 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

NovaResource wrote:
ajgreiner wrote:

No, I mean the Tucson's owners manual. The Tucson rear center seat is not designed for the LATCH (aka ISOFIX) system. Only the outboard rear seats.

Pages 26-27 of my 2006 Tucson owners manual clearly state that you should NOT use the LATCH system for a child seat in the center position. Only the outboard left and right positions are able to use the LATCH system. A child seat mounted in the center position MUST use the factory Tucson seat/shoulder belt.

My 2007 doesnt say that and in fact there are 3 LATCH anchors in the rear so the seat can be mounted in any of those seats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:24 am 
ajgreiner wrote:
My 2007 doesnt say that and in fact there are 3 LATCH anchors in the rear so the seat can be mounted in any of those seats

Take a second look.

Yes, there are 3 anchors behind the seat but those are different than the loops in the front of the seat. There are 4 loops in the front; two for the left outboard seat and 2 for the right outboard seat. There are none for the center seat. Placing a LATCH seat in the center means you are using one of the left loops and one of the right loops. That is dangerous and should not be done according to Hyundai.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:31 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

NovaResource wrote:
ajgreiner wrote:

Take a second look.

Yes, there are 3 anchors behind the seat but those are different than the loops in the front of the seat. There are 4 loops in the front; two for the left outboard seat and 2 for the right outboard seat. There are none for the center seat. Placing a LATCH seat in the center means you are using one of the left loops and one of the right loops. That is dangerous and should not be done according to Hyundai.

I am not trying to argue with you but if it was that much of a safety issue why would they put a LATCH anchor for the center position on the rear? I have to see but I believe I have LATCH anchors in the seat for the center as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:44 am 
ajgreiner wrote:
I am not trying to argue with you but if it was that much of a safety issue why would they put a LATCH anchor for the center position on the rear? I have to see but I believe I have LATCH anchors in the seat for the center as well.

I'm not trying to argue either but I'm concerned about the childs safety. Check the owners manual again.

The anchors (aka Top Tether) behind the seats are different than LATCH (aka ISOFIX) loops in the front of the seat. The Top Tether anchors can be used with LATCH or non-LATCH seats.

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

http://www.car-safety.org/latchfaq.html

Quote:
5Q. Why aren't LATCH lower anchors provided for the rear center seat?

A. Two pairs of LATCH lower anchors are required in the back seat of vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2002, and those anchors are required to be a specified distance apart for safety protection in a crash. Because of this required spacing between the lower anchorages, most vehicles do not have a rear seat that is wide enough to accommodate anchorages in the center seating position and in an adjacent outboard position. While lower anchorages are typically installed at outboard seating positions, most vehicles that have a center rear seating position without lower anchors also provide a top tether for additional safety benefit.

6Q. Can I use the two inboard lower anchors (of the outboard LATCH seating positions) to install my child seat in the rear center seating position?

A. No, unless both the child restraint manufacturer's instructions and the vehicle owner's manual specifically state that this is acceptable. A child restraint can be installed using the rear-center seat belt and, if forward-facing, the top tether anchor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:02 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

I had everything secured, the LATCH, the Isofix and the seatbelt through it. I could swear my wife and I read the manual about it. Last night I moved it to the passenger side. Better safe than sorry, Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:39 am 
There's no reason you can't put the seat in the center as long as you use the seatbelt to secure the seat. Just don't use the LATCH/ISOFIX system to secure it in the center position.

I should also add that the rear seat belts are able to lock. Normally they pull out and retract easily all the time. Only in the event of a quick deceleration does an inertia lock prevent the belts from extending. However, if you pull the belt all the way out until it stops, when it retracts it will no longer be able to be pulled out. This is how you should secure child seats in the rear. Also, my youngest son is in just a booster but every time I buckle him in, I use the seat belt and I pull it all the way out and then let it retract so it holds him in the seat tightly without letting him able to get slack in the belt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:26 am 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

I knew that. I pull it out all the way to engage the lock also. My little girl is still in a full child seat (2yrs old). That seat isn't moving.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

Hi...
I know this string is a bit old, but I just bought a Tucson and am expecting our first child in a few weeks. I tried to attach the child seat in the back, on the side, but it seems that the tether strap with the anchor point is too short to reach the anchor points in the back.
What do I need to do?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!