Maintenance Dilema

Just to chat about your Tucson or Sportage

Moderators: theguynamedbrad, miller56, wombat

andrei3333
What vehicle do you own?: Tucson

Maintenance Dilema

#1 Postby andrei3333 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Well, i have a 2006 Tuc with 88.000KM on it, its a 2.0L I4, in excellent condition. The cars runs amazing, just no complaints. I have read in the manual that the timing belt on the car is due at 90.000KM and the plugs are a close second after that.

I honestly have no reason to let a mechanic open up the car and do anything. The timing belt is not suddenly going to explode as i roll over 90K, however the car was bought in December of 2005 as an '06 model, and this coming December it will turn 6 years old.

So, my question is, since its running great, should i still do the plugs and timing belt this December or wait some more until i see a difference in the way the car runs to do the plugs?

dealer quote on timing belt is $390+13% Tax Canadian out the door
plugs are $120+Tax but i think ill just do them myself since there are only four and they are easily accessible.

flyfisherdon
What vehicle do you own?: Neither

Re: Maintenance Dilema

#2 Postby flyfisherdon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:29 am

I would do both, the risk of serious damage from the timing belt is not worth the savings in my opinion. The plugs if you change them yourself will not be anywhere near the cost of having them done.
I don't have a choice re the plugs, since it requires the intake manifold removal to change them (V6) so I will have them done at the same time.
Don
Meteor Gray 2015 Mazda CX5 GT No Nav (yet)

gianfranco

#3 Postby gianfranco » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:23 pm

I just replaced my timing last weekend. Not a hard thing to do. The timing belt was showing no sign of wear. I also replaced the idler and the tensioner (85K Kms /5 years)

The most hard thing to do was:

1) Reinstall two pulleys in the water pump, there is no much room to play there

2) Tighten the crankshaft bolt without turning the engine

3) Determine the proper tension for the timing belt..
2006 2.0 CVVT Champagne silver 5sp

andrei3333

#4 Postby andrei3333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:22 pm

ill do the plugs myself, but what kinda interval is 90k for a timing belt ? i always had nissans in the past and the wife still drives a nissan and they have chains that need no attention, but most cars i ever heard of change their timing belts around 150.000 KM whats up with 90K?????

Tudules

#5 Postby Tudules » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Hello Guys:

You all make me feel like a complete fool, when I purchased my first car (used, 2005 Tucson) with only 66, clicks back in 2010; I requested for the mechanic to do it as I only had a 3-4months left on the warranty.

Although the replacement of the TB is not covered, I did not want for the belt to be at risk of cracking, then only to have to shell out more money.

At the same time, buying used does not really give you a true vision as to how well the previous owner treated the car, eg driving habits.

For me the previous owner kept the vehicle in meticulous condition, but that does not mean anything pertaining to the condition(s) under the hood. :oops:

Just to add, I did get my headlight casing changed replaced for free, so I should not really complain that much! :D

Cheers, Tudules

andrei3333

#6 Postby andrei3333 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:06 am

what a waste, but hey u know what, at the end of the day, you have piece of mind, as well as the best maintained tuc on the site !!!!!!

Return to “General Discussion”