Trunk Space Too Dark?

Learn how to do mods yourself.
Cann0n
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine
What vehicle do you own?: Tucson

Trunk Space Too Dark?

#1 Postby Cann0n » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:16 am

Hey, I've been driving a Tucson for almost 2 years now. My biggest issue was how dark the trunk is. I went to AutoZone and picked up some flexible LED strips with the sticky backings. I don't have pictures because I just traded my 2012 FWD 1.8L for a 2010 AWD 2.4L Limited and haven't done it yet to this one. I will attempt to explain the process and way document the process next time I do this.

What you will need:
a drill with a small drill bit
screw driver
scotchlock clips (aka wire splice clips)
LED strips normally come with enough wire for this project

First I decided where I wanted them. I stuck them horizontally on both sides of the trunk, just above where the cargo cover line is. Don't do it yet.

Then I pulled off the side panels, which required me to remove the paneling and plastic around the trunk latch. I didn't have to remove the paneling all the way, just enough to get the job done.

I drilled a tiny hole where I wanted to run the wires and laced them through, then peel and stick the LED's where I wanted them.

I popped out the existing light fixture and spliced the wires into the existing light and tucked all of the wires and replaced the panels.

It was super bright and I never needed a flashlight to dig through the trunk in the dark again. I hope I inspired someone to do this. It was literally 15 minutes and very easy.

polarpaw
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell
What vehicle do you own?: Tucson

Re: Trunk Space Too Dark?

#2 Postby polarpaw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:16 pm

That's a great solution! I find the trunk space is very dark - because the stock light is so small and probably not located in the best spot.

I like this idea, might give it a try.

thanks
2014 Tucson Limited AWD
Winter White

Return to “D.I.Y ( DO IT YOURSELF )”